The proper legal representation can make a significant difference when you are facing criminal charges like DUI. How do you know if you have hired the right one?
The first thing you should do after you have been arrested is to make a list of DUI defense attorneys in your area. Take a look at their websites and see if they have any recent client testimonials, awards and accolades, and experience in cases similar to yours. After this, contact a few attorneys that you believe may be a good fit, and find out if they offer free case consultations or initial meetings to discover whether you will be able to work together.
What do I ask a potential lawyer?
At this first meeting, bring any paperwork and details you may have related to your case. On top of what the attorney has to say about this information, this is the perfect time for you to ask them questions about their legal experience to determine whether you will be comfortable placing your future in their hands.
Questions to ask a DUI defense lawyer include:
- How long have you been representing DUI clients?
- What professional organizations do you belong to?
- Have you worked with the prosecutor in my case before?
- Do you negotiate plea bargains or take cases to trial more often?
- How often do you win cases for your clients?
- What can I expect from the case moving forward?
- What are the options available to me in my case?
- Who will represent me in court?
- How can I get in contact with you if I have any questions?
- Do you have a method for keeping clients involved in their cases?
- How much will the process cost from start to finish?
These questions are only a guideline, and it is worthwhile to ask more if the meeting necessitates it. From these questions, you can discover what attorney can provide the best opportunities and legal representation in your case.
Hiring a DUI defense attorney for your case is a serious decision that requires a lot of thought. Using his 25+ Years of experience, Kansas City Attorney Steve Schanker is ready to help. Call for a free case consultation to learn about how I can use my experience to benefit you.